Re: Legal Requirements?

2004-02-07 15:17:31

At 7:39 PM +0100 2/7/04, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
Are laws and legal requirements subject of this working group?

Only if there are any legal requirements that are universal across the Internet.

In other words, no.

Having said that, there is probably a general requirement that content should be able to have some sort of marking to comply with local laws. My guess is that the requirement is that the marking should be able to be put on any sub-part, not just on the message as a whole.

There is also a requirement that the transmission mechanism for a message allow marking before the message is fully transmitted. This might be "I'm about to send you something with attribute foo", or it might be a requirement that the content have all its markings at the beginning of the transmission.

BTW, this isn't a working group, it is a mailing list. I will keep harping on that point so that no feels that the rules of the IETF apply here.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium