additional requirements

2004-02-07 16:54:56

If I were a large company, I might require some or even all of the following:

- All mail must flow through a predefined set of servers, so it can be archived. This means recipients must (be able to) reject email from the domain in question if it came from somewhere else, so:

- It must be possible to express and publish policies. This should also help autmate those dreaded disclaimers so they don't have to be added to each individual message anymore.

- It would also be useful to have a way to imprint the company seal of approval to messages. This could probably be done by signing the message using a specific certificate that resides somewhere on the company mail system rather than close to / under the control of the actual person sending the message.

- Integration with book / record keeping. So there must be standard ways to express reference numbers rather than "keep this in the subject". Whenever a message costs or makes money, we probably want to track this in an automated way. For instance, when an employee orders something, there should be something in the message that says: "this message contains a transaction <transaction number> that will cost <number> <currency>". This allows for automated checks on expenditures and lots of other stuff.

- The next step would be transmitting forms back and forth through email rather than HTTP. Email is much more suitable for this as unlike web, it allows for unfinished work to be saved and resumed later, and you get to keep copies of exactly what is sent out and received. It would also be relatively trivial to forward forms so several people can each put some of the information in.

- Both the person filling out a form and the one eventually receiving it may want to have certain information included automatically.

Assuming the basic idea of a server that receives email on behalf of a user and a user who then collects it when convenient isn't going away, would it be useful to have some kind of simple scripting language that can be used by end-users (or their software) to push their mail policies onto the server? The advantage of this would be that mail can be rejected or parameters can be negotiated _during_ mail transfer rather than after the fact.

I think it's a good idea to explicitly look at mailing lists as part of this effort, for several reasons: uniform interface and efficiency, but also robustness: whenever there is a significant network outage there is always trouble with the mailinglists because their centralized nature makes them vulnerable. As I remarked a while ago on NANOG, NNTP would be better for this than current mailing list technology. I wrote some text about how NNTP could be improved. Some of this also applies here, so here's the URL: http://www.muada.com/projects/usenet.txt

However, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that many mailing lists are pretty small and it should be possible for anyone to start a simple mailinglist without too much trouble.