Automating Permission/Trust based system

2004-02-09 22:55:23

I hope this is not a rehash of items already mentioned or discussed in one
form or another, but I would like the following to be a central basic
component consideration for the new mail-ng protocol:

- Contacts initiated on your part should probably automate the permission
process for receiving responses.

- "Friendly unsolicited contacts" should have a method to automate a
"request" for permission for sending mail, preferably without delays.

In short, both surround the concept of "Automating Permission/Trust" of a
transaction.

It presents a chicken and egg problem when both ends follow both logics.   A
user has the intent to begin a contact (send email to a vendor). He adds the
vendor to this accept response mail list.  But now the vendor may have a
policy that requires the user to have "permission" to send mail.  And vice
versa, the vendor may want to send unsolicited "friendly" mail to the user.

Many ideas, many different ways to probably address this, but from my
perspective, I can't see any further reasons for a new protocol which does
not address the above fundamental, everyday "anonymous contact" situation.
To me, once "trust" is established one way or another, all other "neat
features" or ergonomic related ideas people want to scope out in mail-ng
protocol is bubblegum and lollipops.

http://www.santronics.com