RE: Email or Something Else

2004-02-09 20:27:18

Paul,

I'm just saying that it seems there are several focii in the
requirements.  The list has started based on the assumption that
there is only one.

Maybe we have the choice to build one ragged, overspecified
application... or several, lean mean, cooperative applications.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC [mailto:phoffman(_at_)imc(_dot_)org]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:10
To: Bonatti, Chris; mail-ng(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Email or Something Else

At 7:10 AM -0500 2/9/04, Bonatti, Chris wrote:
- We want low throughput mobile devices, but we want to be able
to send
large files.

- We want strong user authentication and tracing, but we want to

support anonymous traffic.

- We want simplicity, but we want flexibility and extensibility.

- We want backward compatibility, but we want a clean slate.

- We want instant delivery, but we want our messages saved till
we get
back.

I find myself wondering if we aren't scoping requirements for
more than
a single application.

What do you mean by "we"? This is a mailing list of widely
divergent
views. Two different people's requirements may be impossible to
meet
in a single protocol, but that doesn't mean you need two
protocols.
It means you have to figure out which requirements are relevant
the majority (hopefully the large majority) of users. Some people

here may be less adept at protocol consideration than others.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium