RE: visions

2004-02-23 09:16:31

Markus,
I couldn't agree more with your comments.  I've been bemused by the quite
detailed discussions without much input at a high level. So....my 2p worth:

Email is A Bad Thing.

Just because it is ubiquitous doesn't make it worthwhile.  I think that
currently email can be divided into 3 kinds:
1) Personal email - I don't have official figures but I expect >95% of all
emails are personal.  This email is personal even though I am using my
company's infrastructure to send it.
2) Organisational email - just occasionally I send an email that says "I'll
meet you in London at 9.00am for a very important meeting".  This is my idea
of an organisational message, sent in my role as an employee.
3) Contractual email - maybe, once upon a time, somewhere, someone sent an
email saying "I'll buy 500 of your widgets and here's my credit card
details" - I've not met this person.

So, given the above, we should concentrate on getting point 1) right.  This
means that issues such as authenticity and authorisation are lesser against
user-friendliness.

Point 3) is already lost since web based solutions are used for contractual
agreements.  Indeed, I would suggest that a centralised solution is a better
option for Mail NG generally.  It is better (both for security and bandwidth
reasons) to bring the people to the information rather than sending multiple
copies of the information to the people.

regards,
Piers