Re: [mail-vet-discuss] New draft for review

2007-06-01 14:53:47
At 09:30 01-06-2007, Michael Thomas wrote:
I don't understand the reason for this restriction, and I understand
even less how you expect it to be enforced. Consider this:

border(spf)->mta(dkim)->delivery

why should it be illegal for the middle mta to add the dkim results
to the existing upstream auth-res? Does it cause some sort of security
problem? Or any other kind of problem? The only kind of security problem
I can see is if it added it to an _untrusted_ auth-res, but that would
be pretty silly.

Initially, the hostname could be used to tell where the results were evaluated. That would explain why the dkim results shouldn't be appended to a header inserted upstream. If we are going to use an authentication identifier, we can append results if the border and the mta are using the same identifier.

There may be a problem. Assuming that there was a spoofed header in the message and for some reason, the border didn't process the message for an auth-res header. mta will be adding the dkim results to the untrusted auth-res header. This problem would be more inherent to using the same identifier on more than one host.

Regards,
-sm