Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Draft as of 7/17/2007

2007-08-15 09:39:40
I'm not sure I totally agree with this.  If for example the border MTA
elects to encapsulate the SMTP client information in an additional
header field or some such, an internal MTA could later carry out the
SPF/Sender-ID test.  By that logic, any of the tests we know about could
be done anywhere as long as all the required data are somehow available.

Well, sure.  That's basically the as-if rule, e.g., you can do your
SPF check wherever you want so long as you get the same result as if
you did it at the border MTA.  That's one reason (the other was
sloppiness) why my wording was somewhat vague.

I think your short list of scenarios in the prior message was OK.

R's,
John