Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Draft as of 9/4/2007

2007-10-15 09:04:45
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:11:46 +0100, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:

...  As long as your forwarders don't break signatures you should
be good.  I could see a use case for SPF where the check will fail
because the forwarder isn't in the list, but then I have to weigh that
against the MASSIVE hole that opens up that would make SPF useless.

But forwarders DO break signatures (the worst culprit is mailing list expanders which can be expected to do it all the time).

And, as I have been arguing on the DKIM list, somtimes you would like to now whether the message submitted to the list really did come from its purported sender, as-well-as or instead-of knowing whether it arrived at you via the list.

My argument in this case has always been that the list administrator should add an A-R to say that the about-to-be-broken signature passed when it arrived at his expander, and then include that A-R in the signature when he signs it himself.

So when it arrives at your border, then the A-R added at the border certifies (to you) not only that the message came from THE LIST, but also that THE LIST (and none other) has asserted that the now-broken signature passed when it arrived at him (which might not be true if the list admin is a rogue, but it is the best you are going to get in the circumstances).

But it only works if the A-R added by the list admin is still there when you receive it.

So rather than removing A-R headers (just in case some 'stupid' user believes them), border systems should either rename them as something else, or add some further header to make it clear which ones were 'guaranteed' and which ones were 'suspicious'.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.