mharc-users

Re: How to work with mhonarc archives?

2002-07-11 19:17:15
On July 11, 2002 at 11:59, "Wang, Mary Y" wrote:

I am using 0.2.2.i

FYI, I release 0.3.0 last Monday.

I already have existing mhonarc archives, and I am not
sure how to work with mharc.  My application works with Mailman.  Basically
in the Mailman directory /var/mailman/archives/public/listname.mbox has the
messages.  And in the mailman configuration file, mm_cfgy.py, I would invoke
mhonarc to process the mail and put into the mhonarc archives.  So now my
archive php/html files are located in /var/mhonarc/archives/public/listname/

directory.  I was trying to modify config.sh, but I didn't see anywhere to
indicate the directory path for the listname.mbox.

MHArc is design to work independently of a given list management
software.  The basic model is to have a special user account that
you subscribe to the mailing lists you want subscribed.  MHArc is
then used to process the mail it receives into the various list
archives as defined in lib/lists.def.

The advantage of this approach is that it keeps the archiving
system completely separate from the mailing list management software
that is used.  This way if the mailing list management software
changes, the archiving system is unaffected.

MHArc keeps it own copy of raw mail archives, and the HTML archives
are based upon them.

My recommendation is to set up mharc as I just described.  Once
operating, you can import the older messages
from /var/mailman/archives/public/listname.mbox.  This will probably
require some scripting to get the data importanted in the
monthly raw archive format that mharc has.  If you have nmh (or
the older MH) available, the mh-month-pack script can be used.

--ewh