mharc-users

Re: Integrate Mharc with Mailman and Qmail/vpopmail

2003-06-27 00:10:03
On June 27, 2003 at 01:26, "J. Smith" wrote:

I have spent the whole day reading lists, searching every where and
reading docs and I can not seem to find a concise setup guide for using
Mharc/Mhonarc with my current setup. I am using Mailman mailing list
and it is currently setup and working perfectly with the standard
pipermail archive setup. My mail server is qmail/vpopmail and it is
functioning fine. I am pretty familiar with qmail/vpopmail but I can
not seem to figure out where to get started to move my mailing lists to
Mharc/Mhonarc. I have never used procmail with qmail as it has its own
dot files that seem to do every thing I think procmail filters do. I
suspect the secret is in setting up a Qmail style dot file to handle
what would normally happen with procmail for Mharc. I just can't figure
it out and am befuddled.

A tactic that will help simplify things is to use the mharc usage
model advocated in the installation doc: You create a archive user
account that is subscribed to the lists you archive.  This way,
Mailman is non-issue.  The raw mailbox archives in pipermail can
easily by imported into mharc.

Now, the issue is how mail is delivered to the archive user account.
Is it a maildir format, or would the account require the use of POP
to retrieve mail?  Either way, there is more than one way to solve
the problem.

By default, mharc expects incoming mail to be in mailbox format
(with the location specified by the ORGMAIL config.sh variable).  So,
one method is to get the incoming mail into mailbox format.  For
maildir, it is converting the messages in maildir format to mailbox.
For POP, it is downloading the mail to a mailbox file.  From there,
mharc can do the rest.

Another approach is modify mharc scripts directly to support alternate
input models, mainly filter-spool.

--ewh