mharc-users

file permissions

2003-09-18 11:16:12
I'm working on integrating mharc with Mailman's password-protection
scheme (and am nearly done.  whew!  long report of all the fun will be
forthcoming if anyone's interested).

One thing I'm doing is setting file permissions appropriately so that as
much as possible, public archives and search-related things are
other-readable (so the webserver can get them) and private archives are
not (and just served via mailman), which is the best compromise I can
come up with for protecting the privacy of list-members from nosy users
on my system.  The public-ness of the search stuff is far from perfect,
but I think at the moment I'm satisfied with protection from casual
poking-around, as it's better than what I had before.   This has mostly
involved little tweaks to web-archive.

I'm making good progress, but I'm currently puzzling over the search
indices.  It appears that what I did to make the html files for private
lists non-other-readable has leaked out and affected search-related files
like NMZ.i/ii, NMZ.p/pi, NMZ.t, NMZ.w/wi for the private lists.  This
makes sense; I'm guessing that namazu is giving the search index similar
perms to those of the files that were indexed.

My question is:  I'm thinking about hacking a chmod into web-archives
&namazu_cleanup(); is there perhaps a better place for me to put this
code?  I don't think I want to change mknmz so its behavior is changed
for all users; other people on my system are already talking about
wanting to use it.  Or am I misunderstanding why my permissions on those
files are coming out they way they are in the first place (in which case,
I can take this question to namazu-users-en instead)?

(final step: appropriate permissions for the mboxes.  If I'm not
mistaken, I just have to make sure that the folder created to hold a
lists's mboxes has the right permissions, and procmail will do the right
thing with regards to creating new yyyy-mm mboxes.  and yes, I realize
this means that my listowners will have to contact me if they want to
change their lists public/private archive status.  I've let them know
of this & nobody's complained yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

thanks!

sev

--
 *** sev(_at_)byz(_dot_)org can also be found at http://www.byz.org/~sev ***