mharc-users

Re: Ideas for filtering Netsky virus...

2004-02-26 12:09:36
On February 26, 2004 at 10:25, "Sean M. Alderman" wrote:

  Every time a new virus comes along that we get hit with, I usually
hand modify bin/mk-procmail to add a filter to keep virus attachements
from getting into the archives I've got.  I just took a look at the
Netsky virus info
(http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32(_dot_)netsky(_dot_)c(_at_)mm(_dot_)html
) and it seems to be quite massive with the number of possible subjects, bodi
es, attachments and so forth.  So, I was wondering if anyone here has thought
 of a good way to filter the virus.

I would probably recommend a pre-processing procmail/anti-spam
filtering before mharc every sees it.  This way, regardless of how
mharc changes, your virus/spam filtering is unaffected.  Therefore,
the incoming mail spool that mharc processes will only contain messages
that have passed your virus/spam filtering.

I'm not familiar with how you have set things up, but generally,
inserting pre-processing filter is fairly easy.

BTW, you may consider just blocking all messages that contain
an executable attachment: .com, .exe, .pif, or .scr file extension.
For those times when sending an executable via email is legitimate,
the sender should zip up the file first.  This at least prevents
auto-execution when the attachment is opened.

--ewh