mharc-users

Re: strange mbox format corruption

2004-12-20 13:14:59
On December 19, 2004 at 11:52, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

To make a long story short, I tracked down a long-standing problem to
the following. I have a test mbox file that has 20 messages. I am able
to read the file using elm and mailx, confirming that the format is ok.
When I archive that file through mharc (using .newmail), I am only
seeing 4 messages. One of the messages has 17 messages merged into one.
I checked the mbox file created by mharc (filename 2004-12), and it too
has only four messages, and one of the messages is a very long message
that contains 17 messages. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the
cause. Some of the 'From' message separators that were in the original
mbox file have become '>From', hence losing the message separation. I
have no idea why mharc inserted the extra '>'. Any ideas on how to fix
this would be appreciated.

How was the mbox file "copied" to .newmail?  Did you see if the
">From" escaping existed when the data was in .newmail?

Mharc uses Procmail's formail program to filter out the messages
from .newmail.  The basic command used by mharc is:

  formail -s procmail procmail.mharc <.newmail

Formail will split .newmail into separate messages and pass each
message to procmail, with procmail using procmail.mharc for its
filtering rules.  You can see the filter-spool script for exact
details on how formail is invoked.

--ewh