mharc-users

strange mbox format corruption

2004-12-19 12:53:04
To make a long story short, I tracked down a long-standing problem to
the following. I have a test mbox file that has 20 messages. I am able
to read the file using elm and mailx, confirming that the format is ok.
When I archive that file through mharc (using .newmail), I am only
seeing 4 messages. One of the messages has 17 messages merged into one.
I checked the mbox file created by mharc (filename 2004-12), and it too
has only four messages, and one of the messages is a very long message
that contains 17 messages. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the
cause. Some of the 'From' message separators that were in the original
mbox file have become '>From', hence losing the message separation. I
have no idea why mharc inserted the extra '>'. Any ideas on how to fix
this would be appreciated.

Here is the original mbox file (has 20 messages):
http://131.238.38.204/~sarangan/mharc/raw_data/test1

Here is the mharc-generated mbox file (has 4 messages):
http://131.238.38.204/~sarangan/mharc/mbox/europa-list/2004-12