mharc-users

Re: "web-archive" process too slow on my server!

2005-06-26 16:39:02
On June 27, 2005 at 00:20, mailarch(_at_)xy1(_dot_)org wrote:

Is there a solution to speed up the process? I have already replaced
procmail by my own email sorting program to gain performance.

If your system has alot of memory, you may want to increase the
value of $ON_MEMORY_MAX in the mknmzrc.in file (which is located
in the cgi-bin directory).  See
<http://www.namazu.org/doc/tips.html.en#indexing>.

Make sure to do:

  ./bin/apply-config -verbose ./cgi-bin

From the root directory of your installation for your edits to
have affect.

Generally, updating search indexes is what takes the most amount of
time.

A second problem: I'm not sure, but does use "make readmail" lock files?
Because some times I have two processes "web-archive" open, I'm not sure
if crontab started a secondary web-archive process.

It is possible.  Mhonarc is configured to use flock method locking
on archives.  Therefore, you can get blocked processes if dups are
running.  mknmz also will do it own locking when updating indexes.

You should examine the cron log file to see if you are getting any
errors.

You may need to modify your cron period to avoid blocked process
from happening.

Not knowing the specifics of your site and configuration, it is
hard to provide more recommendations.  You may need to consider
invoking web-archive is a more custom way.  For example, you can
specify explicit archives to process.  This potentially gives
you the ability to customize invocation periods based on archive
traffic and/or parallelize invocations to make better use of
system resources.

--ewh