mharc-users

Re: Converting from mhonarc?

2010-03-02 19:21:57
On March 2, 2010 at 17:00, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

I have several individual mhonarc groups.  mharc seems better.  :)
I'd like to convert.  Is it possible to do that without changing the
URLs of all my mail?

Unsure what you mean here.  If you mean the URLs to your archives,
you may have to, but you could probably define some redirect
rules in apache so the old ones do not break.

If you are talking about individual message files, then it depends
on how you migrate things over.

If you have the original raw mail data, you can just import into
mharc, but that may result in different message numbers.

Or should I just steal the .mrc files and stuff and try to roll my
own?

The mrc files may help to duplicate page style, but mharc does
have a particular layout for the archives for the operations
it performs.

Not knowing what the format of your current archives is makes
it difficult to determine what effort is involved, especially
if you want to preserve URLs that link to specific messages
and/or you do not have the original email.

Note, there is a contrib script in the mhonarc distribution
(mhn2mbox.pl) that will create an mbox file from an archive.
Have not used it myself, but may come in handy when wanting
to convert back when original data is not available.

--ewh