mhonarc-dev

Re: wrong @ conversion in iso-2022-jp text

2003-02-18 23:35:00
On February 19, 2003 at 13:52, "Takashi P.KATOH" wrote:

reported to me that v2.6.0 with iso2022jp.pl converts
Japanese text improperly.
The following diff should fix the problem:
Please test out the fix.

Umm, this patch seems inappropriate.
Otherwise, `@' will be disappeared.

Doh!

You are right.  I just commited a better fix that will make it
easier to maintain "html specials".  Please test.

By the way, I have a question concerning this.
I thought `@'s have been converted to @ to avoid
address collecting (SPAM), haven't it?

I added this in v2.6.0 as a default form of obfsucation.  Previous
versions did not do this.

So, it doesn't seem for me that this patch provides fundamental
solution.

Yes and no.  There are resources (SPAMMODE, ADDRESSMODIFYCODE) that
can be used to do obfsucation if it is really needed, so I see leaving
@ alone by default as okay.

You are correct with the respect of being "iso-2022-jp-aware".  However,
I do not see a simple solution to this, so I think reverting back
to past behavior of leaving '@' alone is sufficient.

Of course, I don't mean the patch is not acceptable.
I just want to confirm the reason why you converted `@' to
@.

You are right about the reasons.

--ewh