mhonarc-dev

[bug #15415] mhonarc eats part of a message

2006-02-19 11:06:03

Follow-up Comment #5, bug #15415 (project mhonarc):

Due to not being fulling awake, I had a brain fart and deleted
the AFTER attachment you posted.

However, based upon the first message you attached, here is what
I believe is going on:

The original message is structured as follows before going
through list server:

  multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html

The list server is configured to add a footer to each outgoing
message, with the list server trying to be MIME-aware by adding
the footer as a MIME entity in the desire for it to render in
the MUA.

Unfortunately, it appears the list software does not handle
multipart/alternative messages correctly.  When such a message
occurs, the list software creates:

   multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html

And multipart/alternative semantics state that the MUA takes
the last-most entity it can render, which is the footer in
this case, and not render the other parts.

If the root media-type was multipart/mixed, there would
be no problem.  For the list software to do things right,
and still want the footer to be rendered in the MUA, it needs
to do the following with multipart/alternative messages:

   multipart/mixed
     multipart/alternative
       text/plain
       text/html

I.e. The message body must be wrapped in a multipart/mixed,
with the original m/a entity as the first part and the added
footer as the second part.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=15415>