mhonarc-users

Re: Cool list <-> web sites

1996-07-31 16:19:54
Will Hopkins said:
I want to set up a web page to mirror my mailing list.  I don't want just
an archive.  I want it also to be a site where people can subscribe or
unsubscribe to the list, switch to digest mode, send messages to the list,
get info about the list and so on.  It might also have direct links to the
most recent 50 messages, say, as well as a link to the archive.  Can anyone
direct me to some cool sites where this has been done well?  It will save
us time in writing the code for it.

I'm not aware of such a site. You may try it yourself:
There is a www front end for majordomo (What are you using?). Check:

    <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/lwgate.html>

I guess (untested) that with a special customized mhonarc resource
file that includes the lwgate form as header and using mhonarc with

        -reverse -genidx -idxsize 50

you can achieve what you want.

I'm new to this list and to web archives of lists, so this may be a dumb
question:  is there any way around the arbitrary monthly division of
messages?  It could be annoying to have to flip between months to follow a
thread.

The word 'arbitrary' says it all. It only depends on the organization
of your archive.  Mhonarc uses as many mbox or mh folder for one
mhonarc archive as _you_ specify.  If the archive gets too big
archive updates rebuild will take a longer and longer.

What is missing is that mhonarc uses several .mhonarc.db files
to generate one index and/or thread (using various selection
criteria for the merge of course).

If a feature is still missing in mhonarc it's simply because nobody
found the time to code it and to post the patch :-)

Hope this helps,
Achim