mhonarc-users

Re: headers at head of page is a problem

1997-03-10 12:38:00
 Linkname: Comparison of email archive format options
 URL:http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/plans/format_options.html

for what I would like to see in a message-page layout and why.

As I understand it, where the documentation describes the message
page format as

  Message page resource layout

   [36]MSGPGBEGIN
        [37]MSGHEAD
        [38]TOPLINKS
        [39]SUBJECTHEADER
        Converted message header  <<< This is generated HTML that
                      -- can't be relocated, suppressed, or redesigned
        [40]HEADBODYSEP
        Converted message body
        [41]FOLREFS
        [42]BOTLINKS
        [43]MSGFOOT

This is a major inconvenience, as I understand it, for blind users
accessing the Internet through a text-to-speech converter.

Am I correct in my interpretation of the programmability and
non-programmability [outside of hacking the MHonArc Perl itself]
of this page layout?

Sort of.  The layout shows how the resources are outputed for
each page.  With the exceptions of the message header and body
(but see later in this message), those resource can be defined
anyway you like.  For example, I can change the TOPLINKS resource
to look like the BOTLINKS resource.  Or, I can change the
default meaning of the resource so it really outputs something
else entirely.  If you look at the documentation, the resources
are just defined by HTML markup and resource variables.  Many
of the resource variables can be used within any resource.

As for the message header, there are resources for controlling
the style of the header.  You can exclude fields and style fields
with your own HTML markup.  For example, here are resources that
cause message headers to be formatted with a table:

    <FIELDSBEG>
    <tbody>
    </FIELDSBEG>
    <LABELBEG>
    </LABELBEG>
    <LABELEND>
    </LABELEND>
    <FLDBEG>
    </FLDBEG>
    <FLDEND>
    </FLDEND>
    <FIELDSEND>
    </tbody>
    </FIELDSEND>

Is there anyone operating an installation which leads off with
(author, title, date) [only] before the body?

Yes.  The solution varies on your formating needs.

Solution 1:

    <fieldorder>
    from
    subject
    date
    </fieldorder>

    You may want to leave "subject" out if you keep the main
    subject heading.

Solution 2:

    This solution completely excludes the message header and
    we make our own:

    <excs override>
    .
    </excs>