I'm a new user (still trying it out), and I've checked the archives, but I
can't find much on using the subject-line for arranging threads. Almost
all of the threads on my list are built using the Subject: line; very few
of the postings have a "references" line in the header. Most of the time
it works OK; postings have a subject line of the form "[listname] subject",
and replies look like "Re: [listname] subject". Mhonarc handles this just
fine. However, (at least) one user formats his replies like "[listname]
subject -Reply", which Mhonarc treats as a new thread. Anybody working on
a solution for this? I'm sure I'm not the only one to see this...
Which version of MHonArc are you using. I did add a check for
"-reply" junk, but it is possible it is not working. That is
why I need to know what version you are using.
While I'm at it, I also see the same problem when users change the subject
(i.e. [listname] newsubject (was oldsubject -Reply)). Any hope for that?
I have been thinking of putting a language comprehension module
into MHonArc, but it may take a few life-times.
Seriously, messing with subjects can only go so far to keep things
resonable. Personally, if the subject is changed, it does imply a
Again, I haven't dug into Mhonarc too much yet, but I'm very impressed so
far, despite these "shortcomings". (Or is it my subscribers that have the
I vote for the subscribers. Only so much can be done with subject
based threads detection. I recommend encouraging subscribers to
have their MUAs configured to define in-reply-to and/or references
fields. There is a question in the MHonArc FAQ about this, and a
solution for MH users is provided. If you know of other solutions
for other MUAs, please contribute them.