mhonarc-users

Scoping Out a Simple Administrative Tool

1997-07-30 09:01:54
I'd like to build (or adapt, if anyone has one) a simple
administrative tool for MHonArc that would let me permanently remove
specific email messages from the source message archive and then
re-invoke MHonArc, all from my web browser.  I'll be doing this
with mh-style mail messages, where each message is in a unique file.

Some specific questions:

1.  Is there any way to tell, from message numbering that comes from
MhonArc, what the corresponding mh file is that I may want to delete?
If not, would it make sense to carry this information along in the
message as a comment or hidden field?

2.  When I remove messages in the middle of a set of mh messages,
does the mh-file-creation system re-fill that message number?

3.  A related question -- how do I keep the mh file numbering from
getting out of hand for popular mail archives?  (e.g., I wouldn't
want to have messages like 98098070, 98098071, etc.)  Does the
numbering just progress numerically, or is there any kind of "back
fill" built in?

I'd appreciate any ideas and advice in creating such a simple tool.
Thanks.

Jerry Werner