mhonarc-users

Re: MHonArc v2.1.1

1998-02-19 15:26:22
On 19 Feb 98 at 7:29, Earl Hood wrote:

No, no, no. There are also quite a lot of people out
there where one should/has to the Reply-To: to reach them!
It's also the sense of Reply-To: to to override the setting
of From:.  So as long as the order is hardcoded in mhonarc
one has to check reply-to before from.

I agree with Achim on this point.  Reply-To signifies the preferred
address any responses should be sent to.  I guess the problem is
the purpose of "From": Does it denote the author of the message,
or where a response should be directed to?

A wee background note here:

It seems to be generally agreed that the increasingly disparate uses
of mail mean that the  Reply-To header is increasingly inaequate to
describe all possible requirements.  The issue is being discussed at
some length in the IETF's DRUMS working group: I imagine that there
will be some changes announced in a year or two.

(BTW, I have nothing to do with DRUMS or the IETF, it's just that I
was pointed towards this stuff when the question was raised elsewhere)

--
Claire McNab -- Claire(_at_)siberia(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk