mhonarc-users

Re: Newbie Questions

1998-06-20 23:31:52
On June 20, 1998 at 13:50, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?= wrote:

A great software, which I use for efficiently mirroring rather big sets
of files, is `rsync'.  If you have an IP link between suitable machines,
even if slow, one notable feature of `rsync' is that it is able to diff
remote files without transferring them (that's all of a challenge! :-),
and then transfer only differences for updating files at the other hand.
Check `http://samba.anu.edu.au/cgi-bin/rsync' for more information.

rsync uses rsh or ssh (as stated in the rsync README).  However,
I believe that the original poster is not provided such
facilities.  I would guess that many dialup accounts given by
ISPs do not offer rsh or ssh services.  Many times, access
to one's web space provided by an ISP is restricted to FTP.