mhonarc-users

Re: Netscape vcard attachments

1998-08-17 16:08:44
On August 17, 1998 at 15:12, Greg Monroe wrote:

Anyone got a good way of dealing with Netscape generated mail that has
text/x-vcard attachments (Virtual Card).

rm -f *
:-)

MHonArc's default setting add them to the message body as text which
displays as <tag>: value.  Not too bad but it looks messy and users
ask about it. I know I could split them into attachment files, but I
don't want to deal with all the *.bin files.  Is there any way to just
strip off this type of MIME attachment?  Of has anyone written a MIME
handler to "pretty" them up?

I am considering it.  I got the RFC for vCard.  The annoying thing is
why good 'ol signatures are not sufficient.  vCards I have seen from
people seem to provide no more info than traditional signatures, plus
they are uglier for people with MUAs that do not support them.

As for stripping attachments, I have provided a "null" filter
in v2.3 (in alpha release).  It is just a bogus function that returns
a space character.  You register it for media-types that you do
not want to appear in the archive.  Note, the filter should work
for older versions of MHonArc, no v2.3isms.  I have attached the
source to this message for those who need it but do not want to
download v2.3 alpha.

PS(Psychic Subscript): Earl's gonna say it's in 2.3....

It is not in the alpha release.  I need to review the RFC to see to how
complicated vCards are and to figure out what is the best way to render
them.  Right now I have been trying to get the documentation done.
If vCard support is straight-forward, it may show up in the v2.3
release (of course, I welcome any filter developed by someone else).

        --ewh

##---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
##  File:
##      @(#) mhnull.pl 1.1 98/08/10 23:56:33
##  Author:
##      Earl Hood       earlhood(_at_)usa(_dot_)net
##      Library defines the null filter routine for MHonArc.  Its use
##      is for dropping unwanted data from messages.
##      Filter routine can be registered with the following:
##              <MIMEFILTERS>
##              some-type/some-subtype;m2h_null::filter;mhnull.pl
##              </MIMEFILTERS>
##---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
##    MHonArc -- Internet mail-to-HTML converter
##    Copyright (C) 1998        Earl Hood, earlhood(_at_)usa(_dot_)net
##
##    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
##    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
##    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
##    (at your option) any later version.
##
##    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
##    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
##    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
##    GNU General Public License for more details.
##
##    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
##    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
##    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
##    02111-1307, USA

package m2h_null;

sub filter {
    " ";        # Return a bogus space to denote success for readmail.pl
}

1;