mhonarc-users

Re: Encrypting E-mail or removing address from archives

1998-08-20 19:58:03
On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:42:03 -0700
Earl Hood<ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On August 20, 1998 at 15:55, J C Lawrence wrote:

It is a problem.  MHonArc would not know about the munging, so it
will not be able to hyperlink message-ids when messages are added
that are referenced by other messages.  The munging would have to
be  embedded into MHonArc so it knows how to match the ids
properly.

Ahh, as the munging would only occur on the generated pages and not
on the source messages or MHonArc's DB of the MSG ID's and other
key strings, this doesn't seem applicable.  Certainly I'm munging
the email addresses (and some MSG ID's) in the generated HTML files
and have seem no degredation in MHonArc's thread linking.

Threading is okay since that is based uponf database file data.  It
is when MHonArc attempts to hyperlink actual message-ids in the
message data to actual message pages.  A common example is many have
the References and In-Reply-To fields displayed in message pages.
Since these list message-ids, MHonArc will hyperlink them if
applicable.

Okay, perhaps I'm being dense here.  Are you saying that MHonArc will
read the contents of previously generated mail*html files for MSG ID
strings to do reference threading?  Surely MHonArc checks the MSG ID
strings found in incoming message bodies against its DB of MSG ID's,
and since both are unmunged (the original message source and the DB)
such reference threading works correctly.  The munging then affects
only the post-MHonArc generated HTML files -- something that MHonArc
pays no attention to from there on out in its operations.

No?

On cursory search I don't see evidence of MHonArc searching previously
generated mail*.html files for MSG ID tags to map to MSG ID's found in
messages being archived...or am I missing something?

--
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw(_at_)null(_dot_)net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder(_at_)ibm(_dot_)net