mhonarc-users

Re: reproducible URLs

1998-09-02 22:01:28
Now sometimes that results in what was msg00587.html to turn into
msg00560.html. Not a big deal, except that it might leave a dozen
major internet search engines (and my little minor search engine) with
a bad idea of what is where, at least until the pages can be
re-indexed.

So, one potential feature for the future might be an option to use
reproducible filenames for messges. Like naming the file after the MD5
checksum of a message, or the message ID, or something else that is
statistically likely to be unique.

I agree with you 100%, and in fact there was a thread about this very
same topic about a month ago on this list.  Because there are so many
broken (read that as non-RFC compliant) MUAs out there, it's difficult
to guarantee that unique Message-Ids will be available in each message.

For this reason I prefer MD5 sums of the message body -- there is
statistically only a 1:18446744073709551616 chance of matching a
false positive.  For anyone interested, I've written some sendmail
8.9.1 patches to add md5sums at the sendmail level (based on the work of
Martin Hamilton) and also have a procmail recipe to do the same.

Chris