mhonarc-users

Re: reproducible URLs

1998-09-10 15:02:32
On September 10, 1998 at 00:57, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

Using MD-5 checksums for filenames is complete overkill statisticly
speaking. They are 128 bits, and would consume 20-odd characters in
the filename. 10 character filenames would do the trick nicely. There
is certainly no need to combine MD-5 and message-ID's from a
statistical standpoint.

Statistically it may be overkill, but it is easier to implement.  I'd
rather have overkill (since it does not hurt) and an easier solution to
implement than something that is statistically satisfactory and harder
to implement.

FYI, the annotation capabilities of v2.3 use message-ids as filenames
for message annotations.  To avoid bad character problems in filenames,
I just apply the quoted-printable routine to the message-id to generate
the filename.  A nice, straight-forward solution with minimal overhead.

        --ewh

----
             Earl Hood              | University of California: Irvine
      ehood(_at_)medusa(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu      |      Electronic
Loiterer
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/ | Dabbler of SGML/WWW/Perl/MIME