Oh well --
I thought that glimpse 4.11 properly reindexed files, but it appears
that it still misses new data. I don't know what the problem is, but
it doesn't work properly.
Back to version 3.6 for now.
By the way, what started me down this path is the fact that Debian 1.3
(Linux distribution) includes a precompiled version of glimpse 4.0.
After I posted my first message and was told about the glimpse
problems, I found versions 3.0 and 3.6 but neither would compile on my
Debian Linux system. I went to 4.11 thinking that it might solve the
build as well as the indexing problems.
Well, it turns out that all versions of glimpse have a problem
compiling under (at least) a Debian Linux 2.0 system.
If you want to compile glimpse on a Debian 1.3 (and I presume other
versions) system, you need to go into the libtemplate/util directory of
the glimpse source tree, and edit the file strerror.c, adding the
following define near the top of the file:
/* Added for Debian Linux -- jra(_at_)febo(_dot_)com */
* strerror() - same as strerror(3)
Linux supplies the strerror() function, but somewhere NO_STRERROR is
being defined, which causes glimpse to attempt to create its own
version. There's probably a better way to fix this problem, but this
seems to work.