mhonarc-users

Re: along with the spam proofing

1999-06-16 01:07:13
On June 15, 1999 at 04:03, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

http://validator.w3.org doesn't give MHonArc message pages a thumbs up

The validator is wrong.

because the first line has to be a DOCTYPE declaration, such as:

   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

I think the comments MHonArc places at the top of the page are invalid
for any version of HTML above 2.0. This has no practical significance,
and I understand that a fixed position at the top of the file is
helpful for machine readability. However, since the format of these
comments are rumored to be changing (due to spam shielding) in the
future versions of MHonArc, this might be a window of opportunity.

No change will be made.  From the HTML 4.0 specification:

    7.1 Introduction to the structure of an HTML document

       An HTML 4.0 document is composed of three parts:
        1. a line containing HTML version information,
        2. a declarative header section (delimited by the HEAD element),
        3. a body, which contains the document's actual content. The body may
           be implemented by the BODY element or the FRAMESET element.

 ===>  White space (spaces, newlines, tabs, and comments) may appear before
 ===>  or after each section. Sections 2 and 3 should be delimited by the
 ===>  HTML element.

Also,

    > nsgmls -p maillist.html
    > nsgmls -p threads.html