mhonarc-users

RE: how do redirect.pl,datedir.pl ... work?

1999-06-18 11:19:37
This messages is response to a private e-mail I got about my MHonArc
resource file and perl script pages at:

   http://www.sonic.net/~snevel/mhonarc.html

Unhappily my reply to the correspondent bounced, so I'm trying to
reach him(her?) via the list.

In any event this is a good a time as any to remind folks about my pages
which has links to one of the mailing list archives I maintain along with
links to the resource files (including an example of the <otherindexes>
resource) and some perl scripts I use to create a set of  additional
"directory" pages.

Simeon

------------

----------
From:         Yu Wei Jian[SMTP:wjyu(_at_)phy(_dot_)cuhk(_dot_)edu(_dot_)hk]

I think your contribution may help me to setup a newsgroup. So I try your
resource file and perl scripts.

Here are the configuration:

The mhonarc.pl, datedir.pl, thrddir.pl, authdir.pl are in
"~/cgi-bin/mhonarc".

The mhonarc.pl, datedir.pl, thrddir.pl and authdir.pl scripts are NOT
meant to be run as cgi-bin scripts.

I run them as stand-alone programs from the unix command line.

redirect.pl is in "~/cgi-bin".

thrd1.html, date1.html, auth1.html are in "~/messages".

In redirect.pl, I set
&path="/usr/local/www/htdocs/messages';

Unless you made a typing error, that should be $path, not &path

But I have a problem that I can not gemerate the "directory html", such
as "thrddir.html", "datedir.html", etc.

the file "error_log" of the webserver said
"
 Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/redirect.pl
 File does not exist: /usr/local/www/htdocs/messages/thrddir.html
"

What happened?

Apparently you are somehow invoking the directory page creatjion scripts
from the cgi-bin in an attempt to (maybe) build the directory pages
dynamically.

While this is an interesting way to do things (albeit pretty slow for
large archives), my scripts do NOT produce the proper HTTP headers at the
top of the directory pages.

If you want to do things that way, you'll have to add some code to each
perl program the produces the:

header like so:

    print "content-type: text/html\n\n";

I hope this helps...

Simeon

--
snevel(_at_)sonic(_dot_)net      =-=-=-=-=   A rabbit is just an angel with big
ears!