mhonarc-users

Re: Search on all the archive ?

1999-09-21 15:49:58
On September 21, 1999 at 08:38, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= LAGADEC wrote:

Excuses-me.
In our configuration, we use Marc-Search. I find an HTML information page
(Last updated March 29, 1997) on Marc-Search, where it say :

"Marc search is a contribution of envirronement MHonArc, written by Eric
D.Friedman (friedman(_at_)uci(_dot_)edu) and based on the code of Jason Lin
(jlin(_at_)uci(_dot_)edu). Please send comments to eee(_at_)uci(_dot_)edu "

Is it allways true ?

Marc-Search is designed to work with MHonArc, but is not part of the
MHonArc distribution proper.  Marc-Search is distributed separately.
The main author is no longer at UCI.  The latest address I have for him
is listed under the Extras section of the MHonArc home page
<http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html>.  I have the
impression that he no longer actively maintains the program.

I am not familiar with the internals of Marc-Search, but to have it do
a cross archive search would require modifications.  I am not sure on
how the code is structured to see how easy it is to search multiple
archives in a single process.  I would guess it should not be
difficult.

Note, Marc-Search does the "brute-force" method of searching.  I.e.  it
is like running grep on each message.  This can be expensive for large
archives.  I would recommend looking into search engines like htdig or
glimpse if you are archiving many of messages.  Htdig and glimpse
appear to be the engines of choice among several mhonarc users.
However, if I remember correctly, there are issues with using glimpse
relating to what is the proper version of glimpse to use.

        --ewh

P.S.  FYI, the latest version of MHonArc is v2.4.3.