mhonarc-users

Re: Does mhonarc2mbox exist?

2000-11-12 19:44:27
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Erik Rossen wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, anthonyw wrote:

 It is fairly straightforward to write such a utility to go from html back
to 'mbox'. Remember hyp2mbox.pl
<http://www.albany.net/~anthony/archivedemo> from sometime ago? That same
script can be used as a starting point for making a mhonarc2mbox script.

Thanks!  I looked at it and it seems like a reasonable start, if a bit
simplistic.  I'm glad I didn't start my version of mhonarc2mbox yet.

However, it took a little bit of searching to find the script that you are
referring to.  Part of the problem is that the URL is wrong - it should be:

http://www.albany.net/~anthonyw/archivedemo/script.txt

In addition, the name of the script is h2mbx.pl, not hyp2mbox.pl. I tried
looking on Altavista, Google, and Freshmeat, but it wasn't until I tried
the archives of this list that I found what you were referring to at
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/mhonarc/1998-10/msg00056.html

 My bad about the URL, I should have checked it before I hit send. I keep
forgot the W at the end of my login id when I made up the URL. My bad
about the script name. I did not give it an official name and forgot to be
consistent. Sorry about that.

 While Erik's original question is over two weeks old by now, I too have
have a project that requires me to morph hyp2mbox.pl into this new
utility. Which brings me to a feature request.

 For the msg*.html files that are derived from multipart messages:

1) Save the boundary markers of the message part
2) Retain the Mime headers of the message parts - those which are not
   displayed inline - inside of some X- comment.

That's fine for the future, but what about archives that have been done
with older versions of Mhonarc?  I still think that a general mhonarc2mbox
utility would be useful...

 The feature request do not hold me back at all. I was lazy about parsing
and was over complicating the problem of determining when a url in the
msg.html file was from a derived file. More on that in my followup to
Earl.

Incidentally, I have tried to follow up on the following lead that was
posted on this list: