mhonarc-users

Re: mailing a copy of a message from an archive

2002-09-30 11:49:42
In <20020930144137(_dot_)GQ4361(_at_)pc(_dot_)ilinx>,
mhonarc(_at_)interlinx(_dot_)bc(_dot_)ca
<mhonarc(_at_)interlinx(_dot_)bc(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Frequently, when I am browsing an archive, I would like to repsond to
a message I find in it.  I would like to respond, using my own MUA
however.  What would be really nice is an option, when viewing a
message, to "bounce" it to my e-mail address where I can read (and
respond to) it in my own MUA.

Thots?

Possibilities:

User side:

    Put some smarts in your browser to screen scrape the message,
    parse it, and mail it to your address;

    or do the same by hand with cut & paste;

    or put some smarts in your MUA to accept a URL, screen scrape the
    message at that URL, parse it, and format it for a response;

Archive side:

    Configure the archive to have a "view original message format"
    (as Google does with archived news postings) so you could select
    the entire original article & save it as a file, then invoke your
    MUA on the file (or URL, as above);

    or put some CGI or other code on the archive site to forward the
    message - and that code should not be exploitable for mail-bombing
    (to mail messages to many addresses).

--
Denis McKeon