mhonarc-users

mhastart.pl help script

2002-10-23 20:59:18
Hi all,

A few times I have mentioned a script I'm using to run MHonArc on a shared web hosting account without shell access. I promised to clean up the code as a result of Earl's advise during the discussion in the thread "Question re Manual Install" at http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/mhonarc-users/2002-09/threads.html, and now I'm done.

Via mhastart.pl you can invoke MHonArc from a browser and/or let an archive be updated automatically. The intended use of the script is described in the script file, which can be accessed at ftp://ftp.gunnar.cc/pub/gunnar/mhonarc/mhastart.pl.txt

By help of mhastart.pl, the procedure to set up a plain use of MHonArc, for instance in order to archive a mailing list, is easy:

- Upload the four MHonArc program files (mhonarc and mha-d*) and the 'lib' directory to a directory designated for MHonArc, e.g. /cgi-bin/mhonarc (no editing of any MHonArc files is necessary).

- Upload a resource file to the MHonArc directory. It can be empty to start with.

- Upload an empty file, for instance in a separate sub-directory to the MHonArc directory, in which the raw messages will be stored in mbox format.

- Create a directory for the archive which is readable from the web.

- Ensure that CGI scripts have write access to the archive directory and the mbox file.

- Create a separate POP account, and subscribe the email address to that account to the mailing list.

- Set the configuration variables in mhastart.pl, upload the script (in ASCII transfer mode), and make it executable, typically by chmoding it 755.

That's it!

At http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/mhonarc/mhastart.pl you find a demo set-up of mhastart.pl. The password is 'demo', and the address mhatest(_at_)gunnar(_dot_)cc goes to a designated POP account. Please feel free to play around. :)

I'd appreciate your feedback, of course.

/ Gunnar