mhonarc-users

Re: How many messages can be in a mailbox file?

2003-06-30 14:58:00
On June 30, 2003 at 14:20, Gary Frederick wrote:

I am building a new archive. I just installed MHonArc 2.6.4 and am on
Windows XP, 512Mb Memory, 20Gb free memory.

I am trying to read an archive that has around 60,000 messages in it. I
got the mail file by taking several smaller mail files and using formail
to get them all into one email file. I have built an archive with the
smaller files.

MHonArc runs and runs and runs and then when it is probably done reading
messages, hangs.

Have others created new archives with 60,000 messages?

Is there anything I can do?

Maybe use mharc, <http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/>.  With mharc, the
mailbox can be broken up by month, or year, MHonArc archives, getting
around the uber-archive problem.

Since you are using Windows XP, you will probably need to install
Cygwin to use mharc.

If mharc is not your cup of tea, you can use the mbox-month-pack
to split the mailbox into monthly mailbox files and then create a
MHonArc archive for each month (something that mharc actually does).

It is hard to say if the "hang" is due to the size of the mailbox,
or some bug. Usually, if memory is a problem, you would get an out of
memory error, but with Windows, who knows.