mhonarc-users

Re: Poll: Should mhonarc.org mail archives hide mail addresses

2004-01-01 21:26:32

Speaking strictly for myself as member of mhonarc-user, I have a
slight preference for the illegitimi non carborundum (*) approach.
Basically, no matter what there is going to be a tidal wave of spam
directed towareds my inbox. I feel good about leaving my email address
unobfuscated on the web as a symbolic act of defiance.

That said, I can certainly understand if people prefer address
censoring. There are precious few outlets for people frustrated by
the spam plague, and one of those things is to search for their
address on Google and try to scour it from the web. Whether that
approach is effective or not, I've found there is significant demand
for anything that might have a prayer of reducing spam.

Finally, Chuq had a good point about requirements changing over
time. In the future, MHonArc may want to move towards encouraging more
semantic markup (read: in default output) similar to the <DIV> tags
found throughout mharc output. This allows easier hooks into
on-the-fly obfuscators and whatnot, with the added bonus of better CSS
interoperability. I think CSS is finally coming of age (check out
csszengarden.com), and I am looking forward to moving more and more
layout information from the mhonarc resource file to style sheets.

Cheers,
Jeff

* Latin for "don't let the bastards get you down"