Re: details about date sort?

2002-05-15 12:07:58
On May 16, 2002 at 03:15, John Belmonte wrote:

What is the date that Namazu uses for sorting?  Is the date of a
document determined by when it is added to the index, even in the case
of an email document?

The reason I ask is because I am using Namazu to index a large mailing
list archive.  When I sort results by date often the months or years are
out of order.  I can even see this problem on Namazu's mailing list
archives.  For example with the query

http://www.namazu.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=a&max=20&result=normal&sort=da
te%3Aearly&idxname=namazu-users-en

The month order of the results is like "Apr Mar Sep".

I am guessing the the modification time on the file is used for
the date.  I do not know if you can specify it via the filters.

If the modification time is used, this can be a problem for the
archive you have referenced at www.namazu.org since the HTML pages
may get updated during archive updates.

Since MHonArc is being used for the namazu mailing list archives,
the maintainers could turn on the MODTIME resource so MHonArc will
force HTML message pages to have a modtime equal to the message date
(they currently do not have MODTIME enabled).  MODTIME was add to
MHonArc a long time ago mainly for the purpose of being more friendly
to search engines that key off modification times of files.

--ewh