[Namazu-users-en] Program to integrate namazu with mailman

2006-10-15 12:51:54
I'm attaching a Python program, nmzproc, which greatly simplifies the
integration of namazu with the mailman list server program.

The program requires that the account using it (on my system, nmz) be in the
'mailman' group.  Invoke it with a list name as its only argument.

The program uses local copies of the namazu templates to generate the per-list
copies of these files.  These are expected to be in ~/templates/.  NMZ.head,
NMZ.foot and .mknmzrc ('~/templates/mknmzrc' without the dot) are processed for
subsitution placeholders which are replaced with information from the target
list configuration.  Currently the following list-specific variables are
recognized.

List Variable                   Template Placeholder
description                     &{description}

Additionally, nmzproc copies NMZ.body, NMZ.result.normal, NMZ.result.short and
NMZ.tips as-is from the local template directory to the namazu list specific
directory without any placeholder processing.  I've edited NMZ.body for my own
use, "de-geeking" it substantially.  Many of my customers who manage mailing
lists have no idea what Emcacs and FreeBSD are!  Technical names are replaced
with fruit and vegetable names.  Everyone understands food!

I'm probably going to expand this utility somewhat, possibly include support
for a loccal .nmzprocrc file, support for more list variables (easily done by
adding them to tdict dictionary defined on line 34).  Future work on this will
be posted at http://www.fmp.com/namazu (not yet available).  I'll add a short
README, put version info in it, and set up a Changes file.  I'll notify this
list and the developers list.

Contributions are welcome.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at