[Namazu-users-en] Re: [ (can't open the index) ]] (Solved!)

2007-04-09 22:29:43
Tadamasa Teranishi <yw3t-trns(_at_)asahi-net(_dot_)or(_dot_)jp> [2007-04-09
19:33]:
rex wrote:

I followed the instructions and didn't see the contradictory
instructions (copy to .namazurc) that appear elsewhere.

You should read the manual. see doc/en/manual.html.

The directions in the namazu-sample are not consistent with the
directions in the manual. How is the reader to know which is correct?

Wouldn't it be wise to make the information in namazu-sample clear?
For example:

Do at least one of these three things:

1) Copy namazu-sample -> ~/.namazurc
   (Necessary to run namazu as a user)

2) Copy namazu-sample -> .namazurc in the directory where namazu.cgi is located
   (This or the step below is necessary for namazu.cgi)

3) Copy namazu-sample ->  $(sysconfdir)/$(PACKAGE)/namazurc
   (Usually, /usr/local/etc/namazu/namazurc)

There seems to be a misunderstanding.

There is? I don't know what it is. I solved my own problem with a
work-around that wouldn't have been necessary if the documentation in
namazu-sample were more clearly written. You provided a better
solution than mine.

".namazurc" that exists in the same directory as "namazu.cgi"
is read. "namazurc" that exists in the same directory as "namazu.cgi"
is not read.

Understood. I understood it the first time you wrote it in your prior
post. If the same statement were a comment in namazu-sample, it would
have saved me a significant amount of work and frustration.

However, it is the third in "namazu.cgi" to read RC file that
exists in the same directory.

The first is "$(sysconfdir)/$(PACKAGE)/namazurc". (Usually,
/usr/local/etc/namazu/namazurc)
The second is "~/.namazurc".

"$(sysconfdir)/$(PACKAGE)/namazurc" is read first though "namazu.cgi"
doesn't read "namazrurc" of the same directory.

I understand this. I said so in my prior post.

Another confusing thing in the manual is this:

"If more than one configuration file is found, all of the files are loaded."

If there are conflicting settings in the three possible namazurc and
.namazurc files, which takes precedence, the first loaded or the last
loaded? Of course I can test it, but IMO the documentation should save
the user the effort and say: "If there are conflicting settings in the
namazu configuration files, the first configuration file loaded applies,"
or "If there are conflicting settings in the namazu configuration files,
the last configuration file loaded applies," whichever is correct.

Again, thank you for your help.

Now, I'm trying to understand why sorting by date appears not to work
correctly with files created with MHonArc and indexed with mknmz with
the --mhonarc option.

-rex