rcvpack or slocal as local mailer with sendmail

1992-08-19 19:10:23
I am looking for a simple program to replace /bin/mail as the local
mailer specified in sendmail.cf.  I thought I had found it in the
rcvpack program.  It is simple, has the same functionality, does
locking, uses mmdf-style mailbox format, and doesn't have the ">From "
crock.

The mhook manual page in MH 6.7.4a says that rcvpack is obsoleted by
slocal.  And slocal is upward compatible, adding the ~/.maildelivery
feature, which is fine.  Is this a reasonable thing to do?

The new slocal manual page says that users on a system running
sendmail can run slocal from their .forward file.  Would it be
reasonable to run slocal from sendmail.cf?  Then every user would get
the advantages of mmdf.  And it appears slocal does the right thing if
the user has no .maildelivery file.

What do people think of this idea?  If this is a good technique, it
should be mentioned in the slocal manual page or the Installing MH
documentation.  If you don't like it, please suggest an alternative.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium