Problems building MH 6.7.2 on 88open system

1992-10-20 07:54:22

 Hello,

[please tell me if I'm sending this to the wrong address.]

Quote from mh-gen.doc:
GENERATION
     This will cause a complete generation of the MH system.  If
     all goes well, proceed with installation.  If not, complain,
     as there "should be no problems" at this step.

 Well, I'm having problems that I don't understand. I'm trying to
build mh-6.7.2 on a Dolphin Triton88/17 running SystemV/88 (88open
certified).

 I get _main as a missing symbol in mts.o, lock.o, client.o,
getbbent.o, dtimep.o etc... These files do not contain a main()
function, yet the Makefile tries to link them, causing an error. Do I
worry ?

 Sample error message:

for d in mts bboards tws mf; do (cd $d; make DESTDIR= -k all); done
/bin/cc -DDBM -DMHE -DMHRC -DMORE='"/local/bin/less"' -DNTOHLSWAP -DRPATHS -DSOC
KETS -DSYS5 -DSYS5DIR -DSENDMTS -DSMTP -DSPRINTFTYPE=int -O -I..   -c mts.c
C-88000 1.8.5 Copyright (C) 1983,1984,1985,1986,1987,1988,1989,1990 Green Hills
Software, Inc. All rights reserved.
/bin/cc   mts.o    -o mts
undefined                       first referenced
_main                               //lib/crt0.o
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to mts
make[2]: *** [mts] Error 13

 In addition, I get the following error from all files that try to
link in libmh.a :

/bin/cc  -o xdist dist.o whatnowsbr.o sendsbr.o annosbr.o distsbr.o ../config/co
nfig.o ../sbr/libmh.a ../mts/libmts.a ../zotnet/libzot.a ../config/version.o
undefined                       first referenced
__filbuf                            ../sbr/libmh.a
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to xdist
make[1]: *** [xdist] Error 13

 Contents of my conf/MH:

# Dolphin System 300 - Triton 88/17
bin     /usr/local
bboards off
debug   off
etc     /local/lib/mh
mail    /usr/spool/mail
mailgroup       on
mandir  /local/man
manuals gen
mts     sendmail/smtp
options DBM MHE MHRC MORE='"/local/bin/less"' NTOHLSWAP RPATHS SOCKETS SYS5
SYS5DIR
ranlib  off
sprintf int

  I'd appreciate any help, RTFM pointers, anything...

  I seem to be *so close* to have MH up-and-running, but...

  Thanks,

   -Morten

                                                     Morten Tandle

tandle(_at_)idt(_dot_)unit(_dot_)no