m_getfld

1994-07-25 14:12:36
Hello. I am in the process of porting Safe-Tcl to Linux. Safe-Tcl uses
MH-6.8 src/sbr directory to do some of the message handling. The
m_getfld() routine is causing lots of grief because it is highly
optimised and is groping around inside the stdio data structures. This is
a no-no in Linux because Linux doesn't use the usual declarations of what
a FILE structure is; instead, it prefers the iostream.h definitions from C++.

To make a long story short, this routine is undocumented in its effects,
exceedingly convoluted for optimization purposes, and does things that
"nice" C programs shouldn't be doing.

Is there an older, less-optimized version of this source module
available? Is there documentation on what the interface to this
subroutine is supposed to be? (E.g., a man page for the routine so it can
be rewritten?) Since Safe-Tcl only ever deals with one message at a time,
and that message is always entirely in memory, I suspect a much simpler
version of the routine could be written for our use if we knew what the
routine was supposed to be doing.

             -- Darren