Re: folder: finding subdirs quickly

1995-07-25 17:06:04
Jeff is not the first person to suggest an MH front end should cache
the folders list, but I continue disagree.  It is a waste for mh-e,
xmh, and each front-end to contain code to do the caching.  This all
belongs in MH itself, where everyone can use it.  (Though I suspect
with all the speed enhancements that have been discussed here caching
would no longer be as interesting.)

I actually use my cache with tcsh to do folder name completion on the
command line:

        if (${?tcsh_complete}) then
                set cache=`mhparam folder-cache` && set cache="${Mail}/${cache}"
                if ( $status == 0 && -f "${cache}") then
                        set folders=`cat ${cache}`
                        complete show 'c/+/$folders/'
                        complete last 'c/+/$folders/'
                        complete first 'c/+/$folders/'