Re: "Susan G. Kleinmann": metamail and MH

1996-01-04 22:21:57
On 4 January, Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> wrote:
  I concur with the following sentiment.  Comments?
1.  Why would one wish to use mhn_defaults when metamail's mailcap can
be configured to serve *all* the MUA's on a system?

I'm only a basic mailcap user.  I don't know all of its bells and
whistles.  But I feel like there are probably MH-specific things
that mailcap can't do at all.  For instance, a user can get mhn
settings from three places: the mhn_defaults, the MH profile, and
a per-session file set by the MHN envariable.  That lets you extend
the way that MHN handles messages through scripts, links, and the
other typical MH tricks.  I'm not sure how that would work with
mailcaps... especially because I may want different defaults for
one MIME type when I'm, say, storing a message content with mhn as
when I'm using a browser.

Also, a suggestion -- how about making mhparam(1) read values from
the mhn_defaults file and any file in an MHN envariable, as well as
in the MH profile.  So I could use a command like

    mhparam mhn-store-audio/basic

to see the profile entry that mhn -store would use.  Maybe it would
make sense to add an "mhparam -mhn" switch that would tell mhparam
to search the mhn files in addition to the MH profile.
--
Jerry Peek, jerry(_at_)ora(_dot_)com, http://www.ora.com/staff/jerry/
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.; 103A Morris St.; Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA