Re: information about filtering mail and exmh/nmh

1998-02-17 17:15:23
    Date:        Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:44:51 +0100
    From:        Steven Bakker <steven(_at_)icoe(_dot_)att(_dot_)com>

  |   MS> Is there an advantage to using rcvstore over procmail's builtin
  |   MS> method?
  |
  | Yep. Nmh sequences. Procmail does not update the unseen sequence, rcvstore
  | does.

Bill Wohler said the same thing.    Since the context was a desire to
explicitly not update the unseen sequence, and the example offered used
nmh's  "-nounseen" option to rcvstore in order to accomplish that, then
no, I don't think this is an advantage of using rcvstore (in the case that
was being queried - in other cases it is).

  | Also, I'm not sure whether procmail reads your ~/.mh_profile
  | (unlikely).

I think it must, as I have procmail write directly to MH folders where
I don't want unseen touched, and I don't use the default .mh_profile Path:
line ... my mail goes where it is supposed to go, and not in "places I
wouldn't expect".    I also use rcvstore where I do want the unseen sequence
updated.

So, to answer the original question, I don't believe there is currently
any reason at all to use "rcvstore -nounseen" (from nmh) instead of simply
using procmail's mh folder ability, which works just fine.

That isn't to say that the -nounseen arg isn't a good idea, I think it is,
though it would probably better generalised as "-[no]seq xxx" to cause the
message to (or not to) be added to sequence xxx (with the default being
-seq unseen).

kre