ali behaves the same whether or not -list specified

1998-02-27 01:00:04

Howdy.  The 'ali' man page says:

      Ali searches the named mail alias files for each of the given aliases.
      It creates a list of addresses for those aliases, and writes that list
      on standard output.  If the `-list' option is specified, each address
      appears on a separate line; otherwise, the addresses are separated by
      commas and printed on as few lines as possible.  With no arguments,
      ali outputs all alias entries.

I do not find this to be true.  When I specify multiple aliases, they always
come out on separate lines, even if I explicitly say '-nolist'.  I would
like it to work like it says on the man page.

It would also be nice if it didn't get confused by commas.  If there are no
commas multiple aliases work fine:

    % ali ali1 ali2
    alias_expansion1
    alias_expansion2

but if there's a comma on the line:

    % ali ali1, ali2
    ali1
    alias_expansion2

It'd be nice if commas didn't confuse ali so you could take aliases from
places where they must be comma-separated (like header lines) and be able to
"dereference" them in-place easily.

I should mention I'm using nmh 0.22.  This isn't any different in 0.23, is
it?

| Dan Harkless           |             |
| dan_nmh(_at_)unitech(_dot_)com    | MH FOREVER! |
| Unitech Research, Inc. |             |