Re: Setting SMTP envelope sender

1998-05-15 14:32:30
Dan Harkless <dharkless(_at_)unitech(_dot_)com> writes:

Giles Lean <giles_lean(_at_)aus(_dot_)hp(_dot_)com> writes:

mts.conf provides for 'localname' to override the hostname.  Very handy
for masquerading.

I've just met a site whose their Openmail hub doesn't understand the
local Unix login names, so it is necessary to masquerade the username as
well.

I have done this by patching zotnet/mts/mts.c (diff below).  I think the
environment variable name is probably inappropriate.

Wonderful!!!  Thanks so much for this, Giles.  I had been meaning to figure
out how to patch the code to do this for some time.

I send from an account on my local machine called dlh, and I masquerade as
unitech.com, so the envelope From comes out as dlh(_at_)unitech(_dot_)com,
but that
account doesn't exist.  Certain programs (such as the Mailman mailing list
administrator) incorrectly use the envelope From in preference to From or
Reply-To fields in the mail itself, so I end up silently losing mail.

You shouldn't have to lose mail over something like this.  FWIW, qmail
allows the user to override the default envelope sender address by
simply setting an environment variable.  No patching of nmh is
required, and it will work no matter which MUA you use.