Re: nodashmunging changed to nobitstuffing

1998-05-20 10:01:37
While any of these changes may be justifiable in isolation,
I'm beginning to worry about their cumulative effect.  I think
a very large fraction of people use mh via front ends of one
ilk or another, so tweaking the names and default states of
various command line switches isn't really going to do much
for them except risk breaking their front ends.  Also remember
that those who dislike the current default of any switch have
probably got entries in their ~/.mh_profile to override it.

Well, since MH is dead and nmh is being developed, it is only
natural that they will drift apart.  I can't help this, and
I won't let it stop me from developing nmh.

Perhaps it is time for a configuration symbol that controls how
MH-compatible nmh ought to be?  Making these changes conditional
on #ifdef STRICT_MH_SWITCHES, or some such, would help cater to
both camps.

I'm sorry, but this is too much work.  I'm trying to keep the
incompatibilities small and reasonable, and to document the
differences.

--
Richard Coleman
coleman(_at_)math(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu