nmh: POP support (change to inc)

1998-07-28 10:17:49

Maybe I am overlooking something, but I could not find anything
definitive on how a user's password can be specified when trying to
incorporate mail via POP.  From the scanning the source, there is a
reference to .netrc.  This should be mentioned in the docs.  Not
knowing about netrc (since it is a feature of ftp I nevered used -- and
"man -k netrc" gave nothing under Linux), I did modify inc.c to support
a -pass option.   Hence, a user can do the following in his/her
.mh_profile:

    inc: -user juser -pass somepass

I the user sets the file permission to 600 (or 400), then it provides
at least the same level of security (if you can call it that) as
the .netrc file.  I have not modified msgchk.

I am curious if the .netrc method is the prefered method, or if there
is interest in the change I made.  If so, I can post the patch.

I do find it odd that I can specify -user and -host, but not -pass.
Is the .netrc the only way to specify one's password currently?

        --ewh

----
             Earl Hood              | University of California: Irvine
      ehood(_at_)medusa(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu      |      Electronic
Loiterer
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/ | Dabbler of SGML/WWW/Perl/MIME